Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sometimes in the internet I am Matilda, and other times Curaezipirid, but in reality just wanting to say g'day to the fellows.

Briefly, albeit having tried to make a brief post with this explanation, which wound up as the post made immediately before this one, of some 17 000 words, I ought to explain why I have made a weblog, noting that it is addressed to the XY folk, right up front in the weblog title.

Recently, for about five and a half years now, I have been more affable in my self towards the general Aboriginal community, and have been accepting a far higher level of comprehension condensing into my own life story, of what has been done to prevent Aboriginal Australian from sustaining social cohesion, and to prevent belief in Aboriginal culture.

I have come in close contact with solidly grounded information about what abuse is being inflicted in the prisons, and how vulnerable Aboriginal men have been to imprisonment.

In the following statement however, the facts apply to all men in Australian prisons, regardless of skin colour or cultural affiliations.

I do not know personally, or know of, one single man who has been in an Australian prison whom was not brutally and repeatedly bashed and raped and caused to fear for his life.

The problem is systemic.

The solution must also become systematically imparted to the whole of the Australian public.

In late 1986 there was a television programme on four corners, presented by the late Andrew Ollie, called Out of Mind, Out of Sight, and which sparked the public concerns which enabled to Royal Commission into Black Deaths in Custody. The recommendations of that Royal Commission are still not being implimented, and the few gains then made by men in prisons, such as staged release programmes for long term inmates, have already been reeled back.

I know personally two of the men who were interveiwed in the programme, and both, as well as everybody else I speak to who knows the story, can unconditionally qualify that the situation today is worse than it was in 1988. Why?

What can be done?

But more importantly we need to know How it ever could have become that bad?

The reason I am approaching the XY folk, both contributors and readers, is because the matter strikes to the heart of what prevents self decent gender relations within the mainstream Australian community.

When the ultimate sanction for men who abuse women, is to be sent into a situation in which they will be likely to be more brutally treated than they ever treated a woman, what chance to we stand of correcting our country's gender inequalities?

The following post was one made earlier this evening, of an essay written over the past two days, (which has a neat break seven tenths of the way in, marked by a couple of poems), in which I reveal the total complexity of my own comprehension of the depth of the social problem. The essay is just a story really, but a real life story, about my own experiences, and what qualifies me to be making the assertions which I am making. Previous to that, the post placed here yesterday, is the longer of the two works, and is an essay about the nature of ritualised abuse and recovery from ritualised abuse. Both are not easy to read.

Both, and the poems, like any and all of my writing in weblogs, are copyright protected, to a.c.n. 123212671 pty ltd, an Aboriginal owned and controlled company.

You might or might not know who I am, but my approach to XY is establised in the premise that at least some of you will have clear memories of me. Have a look at my photos and the intro at the url http://doyouknowme.wordpress.com/

Thanks for taking the time to consider my discourse in the field of gender and racial politics and sociology. You will notice that my approach is not only from wide out in the left field, but also from within a very definitively, but not tangential, understanding of the religious concepts which are often, still today, driving many of the major players in world politics.

No comments: